“Smudging” is the common name given to powerful cleansing technique that is shared by many cultures worldwide. The purpose of a clearing ritual is to transform non-beneficial energy into a more positive one. It is a ceremonial way to cleanse a person, place or an object of negative energies or influences. It is also an effective method for energizing or blessing a person, place or object.
Smudging, or energy clearing, can be done using a variety of techniques. Burning herbs are the most common, but incense, resins, Reiki symbols, music, Tibetan bells and vibrations can all be used as well.
What are some reasons behind energy clearing?
- letting go of non-beneficial energy
- to create/enhance positive energy
- for balance
- attracting positive energies
What would you “smudge”?
When might you use energy clearing?
- moving into a new house
- trying to sell your home
- after a traumatic event
- on items that had a previous owner
- if there is a lot of “tension” or “bad energy” in a location (home, work)